Bird Collars for Severe Feather Pluckers
Severe feather pluckers pick all over their body or have several bald spots. They appear to have a feverish need to pluck, as though it provides them with relief. Management efforts should concentrate on the following:
- Providing a bird collar that is sturdy enough for feverish pluckers
- Providing bird calming supplements to calm obsessive plucking
- Caring for irritated skin
- Insuring that your bird has a premium diet including feather growth supplements
- Exploring parrot husbandry and environmental issues that may be contributing to the problem
Severe feather pluckers are at highest risk of developing a self-mutilation problem.