Airline Approved Bird Carriers | Travel Cages
What are the requirements for airline approved bird travel carriers? IATA, the International Air Travel association specifies minimum requirements for transporting animals. Approved bird travel carriers must comply with the following standards:
- Size: Bird travel carriers must be of sufficient height to allow your parrot to perch naturally without its head or tail touching the top or bottom.
Perch: A wooden perch of appropriate diameter must be firmly attached inside of the bird travel carrier.
- Door: The door on the bird carrier must be easy to open from the outside yet secure enough to keep the parrot inside. All bird travel carriers must have doors that provide ventilation.
- Interior: Bird travel carriers must have a solid, leak-proof floor. Cover floor with litter or absorbent lining. Wire or other ventilated sub floors are generally allowed; pegboard flooring is prohibited. These requirements provide the maximum cleanliness for the parrot during travel. All internal edges on the bird travel carrier must be smooth with no sharp projections.
- Ventilation: The bird travel carrier must be well ventilated with openings that make up at least 14 percent of the total wall space. At least one-third of the openings must be located in the top half of the bird carrier. The bird travel carrier must have side 3/4" rims to prevent ventilation openings from being blocked by other cargo.
- Grips and Markings: Bird travel carriers must have grips or handles for lifting to prevent cargo personnel from bite injuries. Bird travel carriers must be marked "live animals" on the top and one side with directional arrows indicating proper position of the bird carrier. Lettering must be at least 1 inch high.
- Animals per Kennel: Airlines may have more restrictive requirements, such as allowing only one adult parrot per kennel. Be sure to check with the airline you are using.
Wingabago Bird Carriers, Pak O Bird Bird Carriers, Cage Style Bird Carriers, Small Bird Carriers, Bird Carriers for Macaws, Bird Carriers for Cockatoos, Cockatiel Bird Carriers, Parakeet Bird Carriers, Aluminum Bird Carriers, Bird Carriers, Parrot Carriers